Horticulture Extended Advanced Diploma Level 3 at Capel Manor College
Horticulture is an amazing fusion of science, creativity and the living world and is perfect for you if you want to be hands-on and apply your knowledge to help improve the environment and communities you live in. This programme will provide you with an extensive knowledge of horticulture, you will cover the practical skills and theory of this diverse industry comprehensively.
- maintenance and establishment of trees ornamental plants, turf and landscapes
- fruit and vegetable production
- plant and soil science
- hard landscaping and construction
- garden design, plant selection and garden history
- horticultural machinery
- business skills and research skills
- how the industry works and career opportunities
- work experience.
This programme has been designed as an alternative to A levels and as a route to Higher Education or horticultural specialist diplomas.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least 5 GCSEs at grades A* to C including English, maths and a science related subject
- an overall Distinction in a Gardening and Commercial Landscaping Diploma (Level 2) or equivalent
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions and complete an initial assessment so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
We want all of our students to maximise their personal development and prospects for employment or further study. While on your course you will continue to build skills relevant to work and study on our Skills Development programmes, which may include English, maths or computer skills.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to:
- Higher Education and a degree in horticulture, botany or landscape architecture
- a Kew Diploma, Botanical Garden Traineeship, RHS Diploma (Level 3) or the Historic and Botanic Garden Training Programme
- our Foundation Degree in Garden Design and Plantsmanship
- employment in the horticulture industry, opportunities include: plant-hunter and opportunities to explore the world, starting your own business, scientific researcher or developer, head gardener, social and therapeutic horticulture specialist, industry teacher or lecturer, industry journalist, nursery manager or producer, landscape designer, project manager specialising in gardening projects.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Capel Manor College directly.