Accessibility links

English Literature A Level at Lady Lumley's School

Course description

English Literature offers an opportunity to deepen your understanding and knowledge of how the world around us is shaped, interpreted, and re-presented to us through the artistic vision and literary techniques of some of the greatest living writers and of the outstanding writers from our literary heritage.

Course content

3 components specified by the exam board. The 3 components are designed to cover all three genres (poetry, prose and drama) and cover a wide variety of themes and time periods.

80% of the course will be examined through a written exam paper and the remaining 20% through an independent study of two texts of literary merit. Students do have some freedom of choice with regard to the texts.

Entry requirements

This course is suitable for students who have achieved a grade ‘C’ or above in GCSE English Language and GCSE Literature. An enthusiasm for reading and writing is vital. It will help if you also enjoy contributing to class discussions and have a keen interest in a wide range of genres.

Assessment

Component 1: Love through the Ages: Exam – 40%

Component 2: Texts in Shared Contexts: Exam – 40%

Component 3: Independent Critical Study (Texts Across Time) – 20%

Future opportunities

English Literature is an academic subject valued by universities, colleges and employers. It teaches and encourages students to explore the world around them and to consider differing perspectives on a wide variety of topics. The subject is an obvious choice for improving your communication skills and can be taken in combination with a wide range of AS/A2 courses leading to a wide range of university courses or forms of employment.

Further information

If you take this course you will be able to enjoy reading and discussing novels, plays, and poetry. You will develop your understanding of writers’ techniques, your ICT skills, and your ability to express your ideas in discussion and in writing. English Literature allows you to understand yourself, other people, wider society, your literary heritage, the value of ideas for their own sake, and to investigate and learn the value of a creative imagination. The variety of work is enhanced with theatre visits and trips as well as research using CD Roms, the Internet,film/video adaptations and productions of the curriculum texts and your wider reading.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lady Lumley's School directly.

Last updated date: 22 November 2016
Provider logo

Key information

Venues