Graphic Design AS Level at St Vincent College
If you are passionate about communicating using images and words this is the course for you! Graphic design combines creative and intellectual skills to communicate in visual ways. We will develop your skills in using images, photography and text both in traditional and digital ways. Advertising, packaging and promotion are all areas to which Graphic Design is crucial. The course concerns visual communication in the real world through using 2 Dimensional Graphic Design.
Unit 1 – Coursework Portfolio will cover:
• Exploration of advertising, promotional material, surface design (CDs, book covers etc)
• Experimentation with drawing, illustration, printmaking
• Using digital design programmes such as Photoshop and Illustrator
• Sketchbook development
• Independent research
• Research into designers and artists
• Development of considered approaches to being creative
• Production of two different major projects
Unit 2 – Controlled Assignment will cover:
• Planning, preparation and realisation of a project from given titles
• Use and continue to develop skills from coursework unit
• How students determine individual directions and choices of media
• Document research and creative processes
• Produce proposals for final piece
• Five GCSEs at grade A* – C. A grade C or above in GCSE Art is advisable, but not mandatory.
• Creative Portfolio for interview.
All units assessed through Portfolio
• All students have access to our enrichment programme
• Life Drawing, Printmaking, Photography, Digital Graphics
• Trips to New York and London to see Art, Design and Cultural Studies
• Art college foundation courses
• Other Higher Education courses
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Vincent College directly.