Further Mathematics A Level at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
Further Mathematics is an additional A Level or AS qualification to the standard A Level Mathematics.
Further Mathematics takes some of the concepts met in A Level Maths to a higher plane. It attracts students who thoroughly enjoy the subject and are keen to extend their understanding and knowledge.
It is important to note that “Further” Mathematics does not necessarily mean “harder” mathematics.
For someone who enjoys mathematics, further mathematics provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and/or more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
These could include Complex Numbers, Polar Co-ordinates, Hyperbolic Functions, Matrices.
Topics already met in the single A Level Mathematics course (such as Calculus and its applications, Vectors and Proof) are extended.
A minimum of grade A or A* in GCSE Mathematics is essential. You must also study A Level Mathematics
Further Mathematics is considered a facilitating subject and is particularly advantageous for anyone considering taking a degree course in Mathematics, Engineering, Computing or a Theoretical Science.
It is a highly valued subject and may lead to a variety of careers such as accounting, banking and engineering.
- Achieved a 100% pass rate in 2015.
- Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and an empowering experience.
- It enables students to distinguish themselves as able mathematicians at University and as outstanding candidates when looking for employment.
- It is considered a facilitating subject.
- Some prestigious university courses will only accept students with Further Mathematics qualifications.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.