Professional Catering Level 2 Diploma at Eastleigh College
Your programme will involve practical work in our kitchens and restaurant. Theory will take place in a classroom environment. You will work in groups for practical, but you may be required to complete some assessed coursework individually or working in pairs.
You will complete:
- City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in professional cookery (7100 - 12)
- City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in food and beverage service (7103 - 06)
- Functional Skills
- Work Placement
You will study the following units:
- Healthier food and special diets
- Catering operations
- Menu knowledge and design
- Fruit and vegetables
- Fish and shellfish
- Hot and cold desserts / puddings
- Principles of customer service and
- investigating the catering industry
- Legislation in food and beverage service
- Costs and menu planning
- Stocks, soups and sauces
- Meet and offal
- Rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
- Handling payments
All students without an A*-C grade in English or Maths will be required, as a condition of the programme, to undertake either a GCSE or Functional Skills programme.
- Students should have successfully completed a good pass at Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Catering and be able to demonstrate a good level of skill and knowledge in order to progress onto this course, which will be assessed at a college interview.
- Students should have a keen interest and aptitude for the hospitality industry and have good attendance and attainment reports from previous school or college.
You will be assessed by completing coursework which is related to the working practices that take place in the kitchens and restaurant.
You will be observed throughout the year and will be assessed by the chef lecturers and restaurant lecturers to determine if you are demonstrating skills at Pass, Merit or Distinction level.
You will need to purchase a uniform and equipment before the start of the course.
Successful students may wish to begin their career in the industry. Students can choose a career in either the food service industry, hospitality industry or catering industry.
Progress within the college is to Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery.
The College has three industrial-sized kitchens which are all equipped with modern, up-to-date facilities, and these serve a newly refurbished restaurant, East Avenue, which can sit up to 60 people. Alongside experienced lecturers, this provides students with a fresh and modern environment which will provide them with the skills to confidently progress into the workplace.
Students are able to enter various competitions during their course, which may include tasks such as taking over hotel kitchens for a weekend or running gala events.
The College has great employment links with local businesses, and holds a partnership with Holiday Inn as their official training provider. Speakers regularly attend the College to inform students of the different types of careers available to them, coming from backgrounds including the Navy, EHO, and AA inspection.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.