English - AS/A2 at Mossbourne Community Academy
A Level English is suitable for students who:
• want to further develop their understanding of English Literature and Literature from around the world
• want to use English to support other qualifications or progress onto further studies or employment
• want to understand the creativeprocess of writing and develop their own writing skills.
The qualification builds on the knowledge, understanding and process skills that you will have developed in GCSE English Literature and Language.
Students study poetry and prose from 1800-1945. This will include the study of poets such as W.B.Yeats and Emily Dickenson as well as novelists such as Jane Austen and Oscar Wilde. Students also study a post-1900 Literature unit. This may include novelists such as Arundhati Roy and Jack Kerouac.
Students study pre-1800 drama and poetry, which would include Shakespeare and poets such as John Milton and Geoffrey Chaucer. They are also required to study a thematic unit, such as gothic writing, feminist perspectives or perspectives on America.
• B grade or above in English Literature GCSE
• Minimum 5 GCSEs A*-C
Both the AS and A2 are assessed through a coursework folder on modern literature for the AS and on older texts for the A2. Students also sit an examination on drama, poetry and prose at the end of each year.
English leads on to a wide range of courses and careers. You could go on to use English to support other qualifications or progress onto further studies or employment. This could include:
• a higher degree in English Literature, for which English A Level would be a pre-requirement
• a Post Graduate Certificate in Education, which is required to teach in primary and secondary schools
• a career in journalism, advertising or publishing.
For more information on this course, please contact Nicola Robinson, Sixth Form Officer, email@example.com
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Mossbourne Community Academy directly.