A Level Travel and Tourism at Ilfracombe Academy
Year 12 (AS Level)
Unit 1 - Introducing Travel and Tourism (Examination)
- The nature of Travel and Tourism
- The development of Travel and Tourism
- Sectors of the Travel and Tourism industry and interdependence
Unit 4 - Working with customers in Travel and Tourism (Portfolio)
- Customer service skills
- The importance of customer service
- Dealing with customers
- Duties, training and personal qualities of staff
Year 13 (A Level)
Unit 5 - Tourism impacts & tourism development (Examination)
- Economic, environmental and socio-cultural impacts
- Agents of tourism development
- Responsible tourism
- Sustainable tourism
- Tourism development Written paper of extended structured
Unit 8 - Event management in Travel and Tourism (Portfolio)
- Business planning
- Team building
- Decision making
- Running a travel & tourism activity for real customers
The high degree of assessment based on coursework will appeal especially to students who feel they do not perform as well in exams.
A minimum of 5 grade C’s at GCSE; grade C or better in English is essential. The course combines well with several other A levels, for example Business Studies and Geography.
Year 12 Autumn Term, Year 13 Autumn and Spring Term - Essential to the course Total cost approx £50.00
There are a wide range of university courses featuring Travel & Tourism, either as a specialism or in combination with other subjects such as Languages, Management and Sport/Adventure. There are also opportunities at Degree Level in Tourism. Travel & Tourism at Advanced Level is seen by employers in the industry as a highly desirable qualification; we have witnessed several students take up rewarding careers as a result of study in this field.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ilfracombe Academy directly.