English Language A Level at Brooke Weston Academy
This AS and A-level English Language specification will enable students to build on the skills they've developed at GCSE by engaging creatively and critically with a wide range of texts and discourses. The course will enable development of a range of different skills such as data analysis, discursive essays, directed writing, original writing and research-based investigative writing. The skills taught include critical reading, data analysis, evaluation, the ability to develop and sustain arguments and a number of different writing skills which are invaluable for both further study and future employment. It is important for students considering this option to understand that the course is considered a social science with accompanying theory and discussion.
Open to students who have gained at least a grade B in both GCSE English Literature and GCSE English Language.
- S Paper 1: Language and the Individual - written exam of 1 hour 30 minutes and is worth 50% of the AS level grade.
- AS Paper 2: Language Varieties - written exam of 1 hour 30 minutes and is worth 50% of the AS level grade.
- A2 Paper 1: Language, the Individual and Society â€“ written exam of 2 hours 30 minutes and is worth 40% of the A level grade.
- A2 Paper 2: Language Diversity and Change â€“ written exam of 2 hours and 30 minutes and is worth 40% of the A level grade.
- A2 Non-exam assessment â€“ Language in Action - assessed by teachers and moderated by AQA. It is 20% of the A level.
This course is particularly suitable for those students who wish to study English Language, Linguistics or English Studies in higher education. An A Level qualification in English Language is useful for students aiming to pursue a career in publishing, teaching, journalism and the media. Some areas which have traditionally attracted English Language students include advertising, marketing and PR, arts administration, library and information management, the legal profession and even speech therapy.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brooke Weston Academy directly.