Geography A level **FEES PAYABLE** at Blackheath High School
What is the content of the course?
Unit 1: Physical and Human Geography
- rivers, floods and management
- population change
- coastal environments
- health issues
Unit 2: Geographical Skills
- Investigative, cartographic, graphical, ICT and statistical skills.
Unit 3: Contemporary Geographical Issues
- plate tectonics and associated hazards
- development and globalisation
- weather and climate and associated hazards
- world cities
Unit 4: Geography Fieldwork Investigation
- This unit gives candidates the opportunity to extend an area of the subject content into a more detailed fieldwork study. Candidates analyse and evaluate their fieldwork in response to the questions set. In addition, candidates will be assessed on fieldwork skills.
The assessments are source-based structured questions in both AS and A2. There is a personal investigative report and synoptic essays for A2.
To help you complete key skills and prepare to plan and carry out your personal investigation, you will be expected to carry out fieldwork. You will learn useful techniques and ways of analysing data.
The Geography Department belongs to the Royal Geographical Society. You will be encouraged to participate in events run by these groups. Local fieldwork is carried out in AS level to support unit 3. It is hoped that students will attend a residential fieldtrip during year 13 to support their knowledge of case studies and to carry out their written coursework.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Blackheath High School directly.