Creative Media Production (Visual Effects for the Film and Broadcast Industries (VFX)) Level Three BTEC Diploma/ Extended Diploma at East Riding College
This course is for anyone who is interested in the film and broadcast industries or who wishes to progress to study at degree level in a related discipline. The core units provide a broad overview of the media industry while the optional units build on this. With access to the entire Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection, industry leading tracking (Mocha Pro) and matchmoving (Syntheyes) software, each student will cover the use of After Effects for composition and finishing, and SynthEyes for camera tracking, while using 3D Studio Max to produce digital and dynamic assets for composition. Photoshop and Illustrator will be used for digital matte painting and storyboard generation. While emphasis is put on design and concept, an ability to communicate your ideas clearly is essential.
Mandatory units include
- Pre-production techniques for the media industries
- Communication skills for creative media production
- Research techniques for the media industries
- Critical approaches to media products
- Understanding the interactive media industry
Plus specialist units including:
- Digital graphics for interactive media (digital matte painting/set extension)
- Motion graphics and compositing video (VFX for film)
- Graphic narrative production (storyboard creation)
- Designing idents for television (motion graphics)
- 3D modelling and animation (set extension and virtual sets)
- DVD menu design and authoring (VFX and motion graphics)
- Advertisement production for television (motion graphics)
- Web authoring (portfolio website)
- Four GCSEs at grade A* to C, including English, or equivalent qualifications
- A good standard of written and verbal communication is essential
- A successful interview demonstrating motivation and commitment to the course
- A qualification related to media would be desirable
- An initial assessment
This course is assessed through practical activities and written coursework depending on the subject matter. Coursework and practical assessments are based on realistic workplace situations and live assignments where appropriate.
This qualification gives you access to higher education in the form of a degree or other courses including our related level four higher national certificates, Level Five BTEC Higher National Diploma in Art and Design (fashion, graphic design and interactive media pathways also available) and the BA Hons in Contemporary Media, Design and Production.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Riding College directly.