Hairdressing Level 1 Diploma at Isle of Wight College
Anyone wishing to gain an introduction to the world of Hair and Beauty that may wish to take up a junior position in the future in a Hair salon. This qualification is for those with a specific interest in the Hairdressing Industry.
This course is a full time option and is suitable for students 16 years or above.
Skills and knowledge that are needed to start a career in Hair. Subjects include: Literacy and Numeracy to support you in the workplace, Introduction to basic hair care, how to assist and support a Hair Stylist, introduction to the Beauty Therapy Industry, learning about professional presentation, improving your own learning and health and safety in the workplace. Styling hair, colouring hair using temporary colour, plaiting and creating an image using colour.
Students should have at least one of the following:
- 3 GCSE’s grade A*- E or above including English
- Entry level or level 1 qualification in a relevant subject. In addition you would require at least GCSE English at E or Entry Level 3 Functional Skills English
- Current College students would be expected to have successfully completed their former study with the College including key/functional skills
- Good attendance and report from school or previous course
The course has been designed so that students control their pace of assessment. Students will mainly have a practical timetable which will include sessions working in the commercial Hair/Beauty salon; students will also have assignments, oral questions and exams to support each relevant area of learning. This will be proof that students have mastered a particular aspect of the trade and gained the necessary knowledge and skills to achieve their Level 1 in an Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector.
Please note that there are no practical beauty units included in this qualification.
- Level 2 Hairdressing
- Employment within The Hair And Beauty Industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Wight College directly.