Information Technology BTEC Extended Certificate Level 3 (Blocks A) at St John's Catholic Comprehensive School
Would you like a career in web design? Are you interested in data management? Would you like to learn skills to create databases?
Or is social media your thing? Do you want to learn how businesses use social media? Why are businesses using the likes of Instagram, Facebook & Twitter?
Then this course is for you!
The specification is divided into four units. Two externally examined units and a two further units which are assessed internally and moderated by Edexcel. The units cover different aspects of IT.
Unit 1- Information Technology Systems (120 GLH)
A: Digital devices in IT systems
- Digital devices, their functions and use
- Peripheral devices and media
- Computer software in an IT system
- Emerging technologies
- Choosing IT systems
B: Transmitting data
- Issues relating to transmission of data
C: Operating online
- Online systems
- Online communities
D: Protecting data and information
- Threats to data, information and systems
- Protecting data
E: Impact of IT systems
- Online services
- Impact on organisations
- Using and manipulating data
- Moral and ethical issues
- Legal issues
Unit 2 - Creating Systems to Manage Information (90 GLH)
A: The purpose and structure of relational database management systems
- Relational database management systems
- Manipulating data structures and data in relational databases
B: Standard methods and techniques to design relational database solutions
- Relational database design
- Design documentation
C: Creating a relation database structure
- Producing a database solution
- Testing and refining the database solution
D: Evaluating a database development project
- Database design evaluation
- Evaluation of database testing
- Evaluation of the database
Unit 3 - Using Social Media in Business (90 GLH)
A: Explore the impact of social media on the ways in which businesses promote their products and services
- Social media websites
- Business uses of social media
- Risks and issues
B: Develop a plan to use social media in a business to meet requirements
- Social media planning processes
- Business requirements
- Content planning and publishing
- Developing an online community
- Developing a social media polic
- Reviewing and refining plans
C: Implement the use of social media in a business
- Creating accounts and profiles
- Content creation and publication
- Implementation of online community building
- Data gathering and analysis
- Skills, knowledge and behaviours
Unit 6 - Website Development (60 GLH)
A: Understand the principles of website development
- Purpose and principles of website products
- Factors affecting website performance
B: Design a website to meet client requirements
- Website design
- Common tools and techniques used to produce websites
C: Develop a website to meet client requirements
- Client-side scripting languages
- Website development
- Website review
- Website optimisation
- Skills, knowledge and behaviours
A minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at A*- C including a Level 4 in GCSE English and Mathematics. It is recommended due to the written demands of this course a Level 6 in GCSE English is preferable.
Unit 1: Information Technology Systems
- Written examination set and marked by Pearson.
- 90 marks.
- Two hours
Unit 2: Creating Systems to Manage Information
- A task set and marked by Pearson and completed under supervised conditions.
- The supervised assessment period is ten hours arranged over a number of sessions in a 1 week assessment period timetabled by Pearson.
- Completed using a computer and submitted electronically.
- 66 marks.
Unit 3 and Unit 6 is assessed in school and moderated by Pearson.
Students can continue their studies to university. Alternatively students could pursue school leaver programmes and apprenticeships.
Some job roles to pursue are:
- Web Designer
- Digital and Social Media Assistant
- IT Consultant
This is a two year course and no qualification will be gained if only one year is completed.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St John's Catholic Comprehensive School directly.