Dance A Level at Stanley Park High School
A-level Dance is a dynamic qualification which encourages students to develop their creative and intellectual capacity, alongside transferable skills such as team working, communication and problem solving. All of these are sought after skills by higher education and employers and will help them stand out in the workplace whatever their choice of career.
The A-level Dance specification requires students to develop, demonstrate and articulate practical and theoretical knowledge, understanding and experience of:
- Technical and performance skills
- The process and art of choreography
- The interrelationship between the creation, presentation and viewing/appreciation of dance works
- The development of dance placed within an artistic and cultural context
- Professional dance works and the significance of these works • Subject specific terminology and its use.
5 GCSE’s A* - C including Mathematics/English.
GCSE Dance minimum grade B is essential.
Component 1 – Choreography and Performance: Practical Exam 80 Marks - 50%
- Solo performance linked to a specified practitioner within an area of study
- Performance in a quartet
- Group choreography
Component 2 – Critical Engagement: Written Examination 2 hours 30 mins – 50%
- Knowledge, understanding and critical appreciation of two set works.
- One compulsory set work within the compulsory area of study
- One optional set work within the corresponding area of study, from a choice of four.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stanley Park High School directly.