Modern Foreigh Languages A-Levels at Stratford Girls' Grammar School
Among the many benefits, A-Level in a Modern Foreign Language is designed to encourage you to:
- Develop the knowledge and skills acquired at GCSE level and therefore use French/German/Spanish in a wide range of contexts
- Gain a useful insight into another culture and reflect on various aspects of contemporary society
- Enhance your employment prospects, facilitate foreign travel and experience the enjoyment and motivation of improving your linguistic level.
We benefit from excellent facilities for MFL teaching. Some lessons will be in our Stratford Language Centre to take advantage of our digital language laboratory. You will have a weekly session with the assistant for the language you study.
An A grade at GCSE is preferred for entry onto this course.
Paper 1: Listening, Reading and Writing
2 hours 30 minutes
40% of total A-level
Paper 2: Writing
30% of total A-level
Paper 3: Speaking
30% of total A Level
We will provide you with a textbook, grammar exercises and worksheets. Most of the course will be supplied to you on CD including video clips and audio files in mp3 format. You will also need a personal CD player for the exams. A good dictionary is also essential and you will need an A4 lever-arch file.
An A-level in a Modern Foreign Language is an asset which is very highly prized by higher education institutions and by employers. According to the CiLT – the National Centre for Languages:
- 60% of UK trade is with non-English speaking countries
- Customers addressed in their mother tongue are three times more likely to buy
Students benefit from ten hours of teaching every two weeks in addition to a one-hour conversation lesson with a language assistant from the beginning of October until May. The Modern Foreign Language Department has a language Laboratory equipped with the latest technology and resources to support the independent learning of our students. Our A-level students can also take advantage of a range of reading and listening resources to maximise their learning. There is an opportunity to do a work experience placement in France, Spain or Germany and we work in partnership with an external agency to make this experience possible.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stratford Girls' Grammar School directly.