Health & Social Care (Health Studies) BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Brockenhurst College
This course provides a broad scientific base and an opportunity to study health care issues. It is also designed to prepare students to work in health related careers in a professional capacity. This course provides the knowledge, skills and understanding required for working in a health environment or a progression route for Higher Education.
This qualification is equivalent to 3 A levels. This is a full-time course which cannot be combined with other A levels due to attendance on placement one day per week. It is essential that learners progress to year 2 to achieve the Extended Diploma for employment and university progression.
The Core Units include:
- Developing Effective Communication Skills
- Equality, Diversity and Rights; Public Health
- Human Physiology
- Personal and Professional Development
- Sociological and Psychological Perspectives for Health and Social Care
- Fluid Balance.
Specialist Units examples:
- Nutrition, Caring for Children and Young People
- Mobility and Exercise for Health and Social Care
- Communicable Diseases and
- Promoting Health Education
The course aims to give you a varied learning experience and will be a combination of a student centred approach to learning, involving research for assignments, visits, guest speakers, lectures, group work and discussions.
An experienced team of lecturers, many of whom have worked in the health and social care profession will support your learning. You will need to prepare to work hard independently, carry out in-depth research and use a variety of information sources.
An important part of this course is work experience; you will have the opportunity to be placed in a variety of settings totalling a minimum of 200 hours which is a mandatory part of the course. This will include 3 different settings. Previous settings have included hospitals, radiography, out-patients, dentists, early year’s settings, residential homes for the elderly, day centres for clients with mental health problems or learning disabilities.
- 4 GCSE passes at grade C or above to include English, Maths and Science.
- An appropriate reference relating to 5 days relevant voluntary work experience undertaken within the last 12 months.
- Satisfactory interview.
- Satisfactory Health Questionnaire and DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service clearance check, formerly known as CRB) will be required.
Assessment is a combination of unit assignments, internally set by the team and externally moderated by Edexcel.
There are no formal examinations; a grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction is awarded for each unit.
There is a strong emphasis on the acquisition of skills that will prepare you to study at university or enter employment.
The grades awarded are given points and are converted into UCAS points at the end of the course and 3 final grades.
Polo Shirt £14.00
DBS Check £44
Educational supplies £5.00 per year
Successful completion of the course should allow entry into Higher Education, employment or training in the health sector.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brockenhurst College directly.