Practical Horticultural Skills Diploma Level 2 at Rotherham College
If you’re looking to grow a great career in a refreshing and rewarding industry, then Land-based is the cream of the crop in terms of opportunities. While studying with us, you’ll benefit from using industry standard facilities at our Mining Meadows animal collection and horticulture centre, based at our Dinnington Campus.
Choose the animal care pathway and you’ll gain hands-on experience of working with our animal collection, which consists of over 200 animals and sixty species, including exotic, domestic and farm animals. Choose the Horticulture pathway and you’ll acquire a wide range of skill and expertise including propagations, landscaping, use of machinery, plant science, pond installation, brickwork and paving.
Previous students have gained employment with local stately homes, garden centres, Mayfield Alpacas, Tropical Butterfly House and Thornberry Animal Sanctuary. Students have also progressed to university degree programmes including zoology, conservation, vet nursing, and countryside management.
We also have excellent links with local and national employers and organisations which provide opportunities for work experience and community projects which ensure you have the skills required by employers and you are work ready.
This programme of study will suit you if you have a real interest in horticulture and enjoy working outdoors. You will develop both your practical skills and a broad knowledge base to prepare you for progression to work within the sector or study at Level 3.
What will I study?
• Plant propagation
• Turf care
• Hard landscaping
• Use of horticulture machinery
• Maintain and grow a range of plants, shrubs and trees
What added value will I receive?
• You will complete a first aid qualification to enhance your employability skills alongside undertaking practical activities with the Forestry Commission
• Work with community projects
• Interest in horticulture
• Level 1 qualification in horticulture
• Four GCSEs grades D and E
• Positive references and interview
• For 19+ students, previous experience is taken into account
• Practical projects
• Written work and tutor feedback
16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees. Depending on your circumstances you may not need to pay fees. Contact the Enquiries on the details below for advice and guidance on:
T: 01709 722777
• You may progress into employment within the sector working as a gardener, greenkeeper, landscaper or grounds person
• Level 3 qualifications in horticulture with appropriate levels in maths and English
For more details please contact the Enquiry Team on:
T: 01709 722777
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.