Applied Science Extended Certificate at Oldbury Wells School
Students will study three compulsory units and one optional unit.
1: Principles and Applications of Science This unit covers some of the key science concepts in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It is assessed through a 90 minute written exam.
2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques Learners will be introduced to quantitative lab techniques, calibration, chromatography, calorimetry and lab safety. It is internally assessed through four different learning aims.
3: Science Investigation Skills Learners will cover the stages involved and the skills needed in planning a scientific investigation: how to record, interpret, draw scientific conclusions and evaluate. It is externally assessed through a written taskbook.
1 Optional Unit This can be any of the following:
• Unit 8: Physiology of Human Body Systems
• Unit 9: Human Regulation and Reproduction
• Unit 10: Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways
• Unit 11: Genetics and Genetic Engineering
• Unit 12: Diseases and Infections
• Unit 13: Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
• Unit 14: Applications of Organic Chemistry
• Unit 15: Electrical Circuits and their Application
• Unit 16: Astronomy and Space Science
On successful completion of the course pupils can progress in a number of ways. They can apply to university to study a Science- related degree or a BTEC Higher National. Examples of courses for which pupils could apply include Biomedical Sciences, Nursing, Radiography, Forensic Science and Pharmacy.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Oldbury Wells School directly.