German A Level at Langley Park School for Boys
German A Level is a varied and exciting course which provides an excellent means of developing a range of linguistic and analytical skills. Students will consolidate and enhance their knowledge of German through discussion, group work, presentation and research. Lessons are conducted primarily in the target language. As well as learning to master the German language, students will study topics focused primarily on the German- speaking world and will thus gain a thorough understanding of the culture and modern history of the largest country in the European Union.
Students have the opportunity to participate in a diverse programme of extra-curricular activities, including: a week-long work experience placement in north-west Germany; a residential trip to Berlin; cinema and theatre trips; exhibitions relating to Germany or German culture; mentoring younger pupils in the German Football Double Club Scheme sponsored by Arsenal FC.
- Social issues and trends in Germany: environmental attitudes and policy; education; the world of work and the German economy.
- Political and artistic culture in the German-speaking world: music; the media; festivals and traditions.
- Immigration and the German multi-cultural society: contribution of immigrants to the economy and culture; the challenges of immigration and integration; the response of the state and society.
- German reunification: life in the GDR; events leading to the fall of the Berlin Wall; Germany since reunification.
- An independent research project relating to the German-speaking world.
- A German language film and book.
- Translation skills.
To succeed at A Level German, students need the following skills: an enthusiasm and motivation for language learning; good organisational skills; an interest in the world around us; a willingness to undertake research and to work independently
B in German.
Paper 1: Listening; reading; translation German-English. 40%
Paper 2: Written response to the film and book; translation English-German. 30%
Paper 3: Speaking exam: discussion of topics studied; presentation and discussion on independent research project. 30%
German is the most widely spoken language in Europe and it is repeatedly named as the language British business most needs its employees to speak. Knowledge of German gives a student of any discipline an intellectual, cultural and professional advantage. A Level German is a respected qualification, which is an asset in a wide range of careers such as Business, the Media, Politics, Law, Tourism and Education. Furthermore, students will develop a wide range of transferable communication, research, analytical and discursive skills, that are increasingly valued in the global market place.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Langley Park School for Boys directly.