Art and Design A Level at Devonport High School for Girls
A Level Fine Art is a unique opportunity that offers students a wide range of skills and a chance to broaden their knowledge of Art and Artists. The course aims to develop students who are visually aware and accomplished in their artwork.
Students are required to develop the knowledge, skills and understanding undertaken in Fine Art:
- concepts such as figuration, representation and abstraction
- how the formal elements evoke responses in the viewer
- various forms or presentation in Fine Art and the ways that audiences may respond to or interact with them
- sustainable materials and production processes in the construction of work
- the potential of collaborative working methodologies in the creative process
Externally Set Assignment 10 hours – 100%
The A Level course has one distinct project on the themes of “The Human Figure”
Personal Investigation (inc 1000 - 5000 word written report) – 60%
Externally Set Assignment 15 hours – 40%
The Personal Investigations are a portfolio of work that an individual student creates and has clear links to Art and Art History. Fine Art allows students to develop subject area knowledge in Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Sculpture, Alternate Media and Lens Based Imagery.
On successful completion of the A level, many students will apply for a 1 year Art Foundation Course. There are also degrees in Art & Design that offer built-in Foundation courses over four years.
Students have had success with direct entry through UCAS onto Art and Art Combined subjects at degree level such as Architecture, Fine Art, Fine Art Illustration, Fine Art with Art History, History and Art History, 3D Spatial Design, plus many others.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Devonport High School for Girls directly.