Accessibility links

Design and Technology: Resistant Materials Technology at Willenhall E-ACT Academy

Course description

Resistant Materials is a practical based course which allows pupils to work in woods, metals and plastics to produce a product that provides a solution to an everyday problem. The Resistant Materials course is made up of two main components. The first is a coursework based module that is worth 60% of the overall grade. The other is a final exam which is worth the remaining 40% of the course. The coursework for Resistant Materials consists of a written folder where pupils will research into a chosen topic by looking at existing products, materials used and key design issues. Pupils will then produce some of their own ideas based on their research into the topic, and then they will plan how to make their chosen design in the workshop. Finally pupils will evaluate their work when it is completed and suggest improvements and modifications they could make to their product. Pupils will also make a final practical piece which they have designed during their folder work. Pupils manufacture a range of products in Resistant Materials although some of the pupil?s favourites include Educational Toys aimed at children around the age range of 2-5, and storage solutions which normally take the form of CD/DVD storage, Jewellery boxes and Home Entertainment Units. Pupils will be expected to use workshop tools and machinery to manufacture products to a high standard. Products are manufactured from woods, metals and plastics and use both traditional and modern workshop techniques. Pupils will also use CAD (Computer Aided Design) to produce 3 Dimensional drawings of their work and use modern CAM (Computer Aided Manufacture) machinery to help them make their products to a high standard. Facilities available in school include a Laser Cutter, CNC Router and Rapid Prototype machine. The final exam is a design and theory based paper which will test pupils? knowledge of the Design Process, materials, tools and modern design issues such as the environment and smart materials.

Entry requirements

By Negotiation

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Willenhall E-ACT Academy directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information