Pastry Chefs and Patissiers Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3 at Gloucestershire College
Gloucestershire College is the main provider of hospitality, catering and chef training in the county and has a long, successful track record, with students going on to develop careers with a wide range of establishments.
You may initially think about working in a hotel or restaurant (our students have gone on to work and own Michelin starred restaurants) but remember there are also lots of opportunities in company catering, hospitals and care homes, schools, sporting events or anywhere where people need to be fed!
You may work in diverse roles such as; food and beverage manager, chef, waiting staff, conference and banqueting manager, crew member and housekeeper. A catering qualification is a great passport to working all over the world in an exciting and dynamic industry.
You will gain industry experience by having the opportunity to work in our commercially run restaurants and catering outlets using our well-equipped professional kitchens and being taught by our skilled and motivated industry experienced team.
At the end of the course you will have covered a range of core units and a balanced selection of other units, to give a total of 87 credits.
Core units will cover:
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
Optional units will include:
- Prepare cook and finish complex bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish complex pastry products
- Prepare, process and finish complex chocolate products
- Prepare, process and finish marzipan, pastillage and sugar products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot desserts
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cold desserts
- Product sauces, fillings and coatings for complex desserts
- The course is aimed mainly at 16-18 year olds who have 4-5 GCSE's at A* to C Grade including English and/or Maths.
- You will likely have achieved a Level 2 Hospitality course at college or an Intermediate Apprenticeship at Level 2 or you may have equivalent industry experience.
- You will need to have the capability to achieve Functional Skills to Level 2.
You will keep a logbook of what you have done and you will be assessed through practical tests and on-line or short answer tests.
All courses require you to have full chefs uniform, which you keep clean and ironed. We recommend that all Level 1 students own a set of knives, and this is mandatory for level 2 and 3.
On completion of this apprenticeship, you will be competent to work as a pastry chef. Following further training and development you could progress to a Sous Chef and ultimately to a Head Chef or general management.
You could choose to continue your training by taking a higher apprenticeship in Hospitality Management (level 4) or take a Foundation Degree in Culinary Arts or in Hospitality Management.
All students will be expected to arrive in practical classes in clean and ironed chefs uniforms.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gloucestershire College directly.