OCR National Extended Diploma L3 in ICT at Islington Sixth Form Consortium (IC6)
18 Units - equivalent to 3 A Levels
Following success at level 2 as a continuation, we now offer OCR Nationals Level 3: a two year course, culminating in the equivalent of 3 A levels. We offer our students the essentials for the use of ICT in the professional world of work, incorporating,
for example, spreadsheets, data manipulation, as well as the more creative aspects of information technology such as animation, video and audio editing, and website design and creation.
The OCR Nationals in ICT Level 3 offer students a more in-depth look at ICT in the modern workplace, and give an insight into its role in specialist careers. As an alternative to Applied GCE, or similar exam-based courses, these qualifications provide on-going learning and assessment of the practical skills and knowledge required to succeed in ICT-related careers.
The course is delivered over 2 years on 18 lessons a week. Of the 9 units delivered in the first year, there are 4 compulsory units:
Unit 1 - Digital Business Communication
Unit 2 - Collaborative Working
Unit 3 - Problem Solving
Unit 4 - Creating a Digital Showcase
Unit 5 - Advanced Spreadsheets
Unit 6 - Advanced Databases
Unit 7 - Desktop Publishing
Unit 13 - Music Technology
Unit 14 - Cartooning and Animation
Unit 15 - Art and Animation for Computer Games
Unit 17 - Computer Games Production
Unit 18 - Computer Games Technology
Unit 21 - Hosting and Managing Websites
Unit 22 - Databases for e-Commerce
Unit 23 - Web Security and Regulations
Unit 24 - Internet Past, Present and Future
Unit 25 - Scripting and Coding for Websites
Unit 26 - Project Management
A final decision on units to be covered will be made nearer the time.
You should have each of the following:
- 6 GCSEs at a minimum of a Grade C or above including English and Mathematics
- OCR National Certificate in ICT at Merit or above or an equivalent Level 2 qualification achieved at Merit standard
- All units are internally assessed, and then externally moderated by an OCR Visiting Moderator. There are no external tests or exams. Assessment of course work takes place on arrangement with the external moderator - usually twice a year. Throughout the
year students are given very clear deadlines which have to be adhered to guarantee completion of the course.
All individual units are graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction, in the same way as they were for students who completed the Level 2 course.
These qualifications have been designed to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding required to enable progression to qualifications along the vertical and horizontal planes in the National Qualifications Framework.
A candidate achieving an OCR Level 3 National Extended Diploma in ICT,may:
- undertake additional Level 3 qualifications part-time or full-time in further education, AS/A Level GCE ICT, Applied GCE ICT
- undertake higher level qualifications part-time or full-time in further or higher education, eg HNC, HND, degree.
In the first instance students should visit the OCR website, http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/ , for more details about the course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Islington Sixth Form Consortium (IC6) directly.