Design and Technology Textiles A Level at Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig
- The Design and Technology course offers a unique opportunity in the curriculum for candidates to identify and solve real problems by designing and making products or systems in a wide range of contexts relating to their personal interests.
- Design and Technology develops candidates' interdisciplinary skills and their capacity for imaginative, innovative thinking, creativity and independence.
- The AS specification has been designed to source both as the first half of a full A level course and also a discrete course for those wishing to follow just one type of study.
- The course is intended to be of interest to a wide range of candidates including those intending to directly follow a higher education course or career in Design and Technology or an associated area. Those with other interests and aspirations can also benefit from the many transferable skills inherent in the study of Design and Technology.
- It builds upon the knowledge, understanding and skills established by the National Curriculum and GCSE, whilst at the same time, accommodating the needs of candidates who have not studied Design and Technology at GCSE level.
- The course promotes progression through the AS and A level and provides a suitable foundation for the study of Design and Technology, or a related area of study, at further or higher education and / or preparation for future employment and the world of work.
- It encourages candidates to develop their critical thinking, to see the relationships between designer, manufacturer and user and to perceive Design and Technology within the world in which we live.
- The course can be studied within any element of Design and Technology
- Pupils have gone on to successful careers after completing the course. Some are designers and others designing for companies as part of London Fashion Week. Many pupils’ work have been chosen for the young designers competition, and a number have stayed
within education and are teaching DT within primary and secondary schools.
- Learning pathways and Further and Higher education e.g. B.Sc and similar courses in UWIC, Cardiff, Nottingham, Manchester and Bangor.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig directly.