English Language A Level at WQE College (Wyggeston and Queen Elizabeth I College)
Grammar and other technical tools of analysis will be taught as a means of analysing various types of text, both spoken and written, as well as topics such as child language development and how gender is represented in speech.
The first year involves the study of the following:
- Linguistic analysis of authentic texts.
- Analysis of how children acquire language.
- Language in the media and in technology
The second year will include:
- Original writing for a real-world purpose on a topical language issue.
- How language changes over time.
- A language investigation into an area of each learner’s particular individual interest.
In addition to the standard College entry requirements this course also requires students to have achieved grade 5 or above in GCSE English Language and GCSE English Literature. Entry to the second year is dependent on the standard achieved in the first year.
You will sit two exam papers at the end of the second year (each paper is 40% of the A level) and complete two pieces of coursework (combined, these are 20% of the A level).
For further information please visit our website www.wqe.ac.uk or see our prospectus
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.