Mathematics A Level at La Sainte Union Catholic Secondary School
YEAR 12 COURSE SPECIFICATION
Two pure units and one applied maths unit in statistics. These will be examined in summer of Year 12.
* Pure mathematics covers: algebra, trigonometry, co-ordinate geometry, functions and graphs, sequences and series, differentiation, integration and logarithms.
* Statistics covers: representation and summary of data, probability, correlation and regression, discrete random variables, discrete and normal distributions.YEAR 13 COURSE SPECIFICATION
Year 13 Two pure units and one applied unit in mechanics. These will be examined in June of Year 13.
* Pure mathematics covers: algebra, trigonometry, co-ordinate geometry, functions and graphs, sequences and series, differentiation, integration, logarithms, numerical methods, and vectors.
* Mechanics covers: vectors, movement of a particle, statics of a particle, moments.
7 or 8 in mathematics.
(Students who achieve a 6 may be accepted but will have to take a short algebra test at enrolment in order to assess their suitability for the course.)
* Seeing patterns and generalising them.
* Communicating mathematically.
* Choosing the level you need to work at for each unit.
* Listening to class teacher and filling in the gaps in handouts to provide your own good set of notes.
* Solving problems individually, in pairs or in small groups.
* Using matching and modelling activities to help you learn.
* Using graphics calculator or appropriate computer software.
* Taking part in discussions.
* Doing experiments or collect and interpret data.
* Presenting or explaining your findings to the rest of the class.
* Watching demonstrations from your teachers or peers.
* Investigating open ended problems.
* Useful for all sciences, engineering, computer science, economics, architecture and many others, essential for some.
* Provides a basis for further study in mathematics.
* Students studying science or contemplating a university course with mathematical content should seriously consider studying maths.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact La Sainte Union Catholic Secondary School directly.