Functional Skills – Maths/GSCE Mathematics Re-take at Kingdown School
All the number content studied at GCSE including, percentage, properties of number, problem solving, ratio and proportion, fractions.
Similarly, all the algebra studied at GCSE, but moving on to include solving equations with brackets and unknowns both sides of the equals, linear sequences, problem solving with geometry
Shape, space and measure:
All the previous SSM content, but moving on to include Pythagoras’ theorem, unit conversions, conversion graphs, speed-distance-time.
All the previous data content, but moving on to include mean from frequency tables, spread, piecharts, scatter graphs and correlation, relative frequency.
Students who achieve a grade 5 in the November exam will be able to study Functional Skills Maths (Level 2), gaining an additional qualification in the year.
- First opportunity to re-sit the exam is in November 2017.
- It can be taken again in June 2018
- For students who achieved a grade 3 or 4 at GCSE who need to achieve a grade 4 or 5.
- Students with a less than a grade 3 will be entered for the Functional Skills Maths (Level 1) course, leading in time to study for the Level 2 qualification.
The exam consists of:
- Paper 1 (Non-calculator) Exam which lasts 1h 30m.
- Paper 2 (Calculator) Exam which also lasts 1h 30m
- Paper 3 (Calculator) Exam which also lasts 1h 30m
For those taking Functional Skills Level 1 or Level 2:
- the exam consists of one Paper (Calculator) lasting 1h 30m
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingdown School directly.