Introduction to Professional Cookery Level 1 Diploma at New College Durham
This course leads to the award of C&G Level 1 Diploma Introduction Professional Cookery. Your study programme will comprise of your main programme of study, employability
skills which includes guest speakers, placement, trips and visits to employers within the region and nationally.
Students will gain knowledge and expertise including how to prepare, cook and finish various basic dishes with the emphasis being on cooking methods, how to maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment, how to maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food and food service, Introduction to employability skills, Identifying kitchen equipment, Introduction to Healthier foods.
Learners will achieve these units through a number of practical and theoretical classes. Students will be involved in the operation of our coffee mornings/breakfast service and bistro style lunch services within our realistic working restaurant, which sets high standards of customer service and delivers excellent food to members of the public.
This qualification will be assessed through practical assessment, multiple choice tests, short answer questions and assignments.
The units that you will be covering:
- Introduction to employability in the catering and hospitality industry
- Health and Safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Regeneration of prepared food
- Cold food preparation
In addition to this you will also cover:
- Employability Skills
- Trips and Visits
- Maths and English
- Guest Speakers
- Work Placement
- Competitions (NECTA, MAJOR)
In order to access the VRQ Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery you will require a number of GCSE’s at grades D-G or two years relevant work experience in the hospitality and catering industry.
- Progression on to the VRQ Level 2 Diploma in Food and Beverage
- Progression on to the VRQ Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Progression on to Level 2 Work Based Learning
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact New College Durham directly.