Drama and Theatre Studies - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like to study drama and theatre at an advanced level? This course is suitable for a wide range of students, with of variety of goals. This includes those who enjoy performing, and are considering a career in the profession. It also includes those who want to develop their self-confidence, or progress from their GCSE Drama course.
Whatever your motivation, this course enables you to develop skills in acting, scriptwriting, devising, analysing text, directing, and designing. It also encourages broader skills such as working with others. In addition to working with other students who also enjoy performing, you will have the opportunity to analyse live theatre performances, in local venues and in cities like Birmingham and London.
The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study, in conjunction with other AS/A Level subjects, or possibly with vocational Level 3 qualifications.
The course is delivered as follows:
- A variety of learning methods are used, but the majority of sessions are workshops. Even the work on set texts will utilise practical, workshop sessions.
- You will also benefit from visits by actors, dramatists and directors, who will be invited to the College to hold unique workshops.
- The minimum entry requirement is 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, to include Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st language). Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level
- Experience of performing is highly desirable, either in Drama GCSE or another context
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed as follows:
- You will have informal assessments during term, with a variety of practical and project-based activities
- The practical units will be assessed internally and moderated externally
- The written units will be assessed in January of each year, with questions to test your understanding.
Whether you gain the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions, including Grŵp Llandrillo Menai. Your options will include undergraduate study at university, technical theatre training, and professional performance courses at drama, music or dance colleges. You may also apply for courses in other subject areas, including Welsh, English, Education, Psychology, or Film and Television Studies.
The course also prepares you for a range of careers in the performing arts, including professional singing, dancing and acting, performance company management, entertainments management, theatre management, choreography, and community arts. You could also progress into other sectors such as education, the media, marketing, and journalism.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.