Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Level 1 Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
The qualifications are primarily designed to engage and motivate 14-19 year olds who are interested in learning about the maintenance of motor vehicles and the various roles that are available in the retail motor industry. The qualifications' combination of mandatory and optional units provides students with the flexibility of achieving and progressing in small manageable steps.
This qualification is aimed at 14-19 year olds who prefer and respond to 'hands-on' learning. The structure has a practical approach to assessment and includes many visual questioning techniques which will stimulate and interest learners.
Learning outcomes are set at unit level and are achieved by following task based, oral assessments and on line assessments set by the Awarding body.
This Diploma is ideal for students who enjoy the sector and wish to develop experience in a variety of motor industry sectors, at a level suiting their ability.
Once a student has achieved the diploma, it will support their progress to a Level 2 Vocationally Related Qualification (VRQ).
It can also supplement their progress to GCSEs and other appropriate destinations, such as apprenticeships and employment.
A minimum of 49 credits must be achieved of which 41 credits must be achieved at Level 1 or above for this qualification.
Sample of units covered
- Health and safety practices in vehicle maintenance
- Automotive foundation skills
- Tools, equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance
- Skills in materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices used in the automotive environment
- Spark ignition engine systems, components and operation
- Compression ignition engine systems, components and operation
- Steering and suspension systems components and maintenance (4 wheels or more)
- Vehicle braking systems components and maintenance
There are no entry requirements for these level 1 qualifications. However an individual's interest in working in the retail automotive industry and any academic/vocational qualifications and/or experience will be taken into account.
You will need to demonstrate the abilities listed below.
- Communication skills - You will require the ability to communicate on a one-to-one basis e.g. with the tutor or client and in a group as part of a discussion.
- Literacy - Basic literacy skills are necessary and these will be assessed during induction.
- Numeracy - You will need to demonstrate basic numerical skills including the ability to add, subtract, divide and multiply simple problems. Basic numeracy skills are necessary and these will be assessed during induction.
- Information Technology - Basic computer literacy would be an advantage but not essential.
- Manual dexterity and physical stamina - An essential requirement. Special support may be available.
- If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
- MI Awards has created a set of assessments to be completed by learners for each of their selected units.
- These assessments are designed to ensure rigour and quality of assessment by measuring the learner's underpinning knowledge.
- These assessments comprise of various combinations of practical and written tasks, mostly accompanied by assessor observation and oral questioning.
- The student will also need to successfully pass online tests set and marked by the awarding body.
Appropriate safety equipment is required including protective overalls and steel toe capped boots. Students will be expected to buy the appropriate course theory book and writing materials as necessary.
The Diploma is ideal for 16-19 year old students who enjoy the sector and wish to develop experience in a variety of motor industry sectors, at a level suiting their ability. The inclusion of Level 2 optional units also allows students the opportunity to progress to a higher level of IMI Awards qualification, if they are able.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.