Applied Science Level 3 Extended Diploma at Blackburn College
This Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science is appropriate for students wishing to pursue a career in most industries where a scientist is essential for research and development, quality control and hygiene or for those who wish to study Science at university. The course lasts for two years and the extended diploma is equivalent to three A-Levels in Science, but with a focus on coursework rather than examinations.
Skills and knowledge from across the main scientific disciplines (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) will be delivered via 18 units of study which include:
- Fundamentals of Science
- Working in the Science Industry
- Scientific Investigation
- Scientific Practical Techniques
- Using Mathematical Tools in Science
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Biochemistry and Biochemical Techniques
- Energy Changes, Sources and Applications
- Microbiological Techniques
- Electrical Circuits and their Applications
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Chemical Laboratory Techniques
- Industrial Applications of Organic Chemistry
A minimum of GCSE Grade C in five subjects including Core and Additional Science, Maths, English Language and one other
Assessment will be by unit assignments throughout the year for which the students are awarded either a Pass, Merit or Distinction Grade. These will then give you an overall grade at the end of the two year program with associated UCAS points.
Successful students could progress to study at university in a number of subjects such as Human Biology, Civil Engineering, Aviation Studies, Pharmacology or Biomedical Science. The course is also suitable for students who would like to work as a technician in a laboratory.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Blackburn College directly.