Information Technology BTEC Level 2 Diploma at SEEVIC College
This course is ideal if you are interested in a career as an IT practitioner or technician.
You will gain a broad knowledge and understanding of, and develop skills in, the information technology sector and some aspects of the creative industries. This course covers many of the basic knowledge and practical skills required to progress into a career, further work related training or the Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in ICT.
In ICT you will learn about many aspects of the subject, from the online world and e-commerce to technology systems and hardware. There are opportunities to learn about software development and multimedia product design alongside databases and computer networks.
This qualification is divided into three kinds of unit: core units, additional specialist units and two externally assessed online exams. The last unit to be completed is an online digital portfolio that encompasses all of the units studied throughout the course and is designed to showcase your work.
At least two GCSEs at grade D or above or having successfully completed a Foundation Learning course in a related area and achieved Level 1 in English for Functional Skills.
- You’ll work in small groups, with the entire class and independently. There’ll be a lot of practical work, using a computer and other hardware, and you’ll get a great deal teamwork experience during group work/projects. There’ll also be informal individual tests, designed to help you prepare for the online exams. You’ll be encouraged to research new areas within the IT sector.
- The majority of work will be assessed through coursework, which will be based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. This is set and marked by your Tutor. There are two externally marked online exams which are taken between January and March. Marks accumulated over the year will be added together to give you your final grade.
- You will be expected to develop work related skills such as time management, team working and the ability to quality check your own work. Other skills such as attendance and punctuality are also very heavily emphasized.
There may be trips during the year to various events or exhibitions, maximum cost will be £25 per student.
After successfully completing the course you will have the option to progress on to:
- Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Information Technology at Seevic College
- Apprenticeship in the IT sector.
Many of our former students have gone on to university to study degree courses related to ICT like Computer Science, Network Engineering, Web Design and coding. Some students have gone on to Apprenticeships or taken jobs as trainee support technicians with both local and London based companies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact SEEVIC College directly.