Art and Design - Foundation Diploma at Newcastle College
This broad-based one-year course encourages you to explore your skills and interests so that you can make the right choice for your education and career.
It is very practical and gives wonderful opportunities for experimenting with a wide range of materials and techniques, developing your individuality, initiative and confidence.
It enables you to progress to HE with a stronger technical ability and understanding as well as a more self reliant and disciplined approach to study required at degree level.
All students study three stages:
- Art & Design Research Methods
- Art & Design Ideas Development
- Art & Design Materials & Methods
- Art & Design Evaluation & Reflection
- Integrated Art & Design Research, Ideas & Development
- Preparation for Progression in Art & Design
- Art & Design Project Proposal and realisation
You will have the opportunity to experience all areas before selecting one as your specialist area of study:
- Fine Art (Painting and Sculpture)
- 3D Design
- Graphic Design
You must have one of the following:
- One A level in an Art based subject supported by 5 GCSEs at grades A to C including English and Mathematics.
- A combination of a GNVQ single award and AS level supported by appropriate previous accredited achievement
- An appropriate alternative qualification of equivalent level to the above
*Special dispensation may be made for individual cases.
Mature students with alternative experience or qualifications may apply.
If English is not your first language you will also need an IELTS score of 5.5 or above.
To gain a place on the course applicants must present a portfolio of artwork at interview in which they can demonstrate a high level of commitment to the creative process as well a good level of drawing, both observational and developmental.
The emphasis is on real-life assignments and projects carried out throughout your time at college.
- 70% Practical Course work
- 20% Written Course Work
- 10% Written and Practical Internal and External Tests.
This course is the recognised pathway to progress onto a Foundation Degree or B.A. Degree programme at a college or university.
This course is mainly intended to aid progression onto a Higher Education Art and Design related programme but would be a suitable to progress into a wide range of Art and Design related employment opportunities.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Newcastle College directly.