Accounting A Level at Pensby High School
This specification is designed to:
- present a balanced, up-to-date and accessible course
- offer financial accounting and management accounting at both AS and A2
- emphasise assessment of candidates’ computational skills.
This specification encourages candidates to develop:
- an understanding of the importance of effective accounting information systems and an awareness of their limitations
- an understanding of the purposes, principles, concepts and techniques of accounting
- the transferable skills of numeracy, communication, ICT, application, presentation, interpretation, analysis and evaluation in an accounting context
- an appreciation of the effects of economic, legal, ethical, social, environmental and technological influences on accounting decisions
- a capacity for methodical and critical thought
At AS, candidates learn the fundamentals of record-keeping and the purposes, techniques and consequences of effective financial accounting.
Candidates consider how financial accounting helps in the measuring, monitoring and planning of successful business operations. They study business ownership, control, profitability, performance and budgeting:
- Unit 1: Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Unit 2: Financial and Management Accounting
An understanding of financial accounting techniques for business without a complete accounting system, for partnerships and for limited companies.
Candidates study in greater depth how accounting techniques aid business management and decision-making. They look at costing, capital investment, budgeting and sources of finance as well as considering social accounting issues:
- Unit 3: Further Aspects of Financial Accounting
- Unit 4: Further Aspects of Management Accounting
Candidates must achieve 5 GCSE’s at grades A*- C including Maths.
Two examinations at AS level
Two examinations at A2 level
This is a course that will provide candidates with a good understanding of Financial and Management accounting. It will prepare learners for further study at a higher level (Degree/HND/AAT), or alternatively equip them with the skills to enter the profession in trainee Accounting roles.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pensby High School directly.