Art and Design UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma at Weymouth College
Weymouth College has excellent facilities including a print room with silk screen, etching presses, a 3D workshop for wood, metal and resin processes, photographic studios with wet and dry rooms, an Apple Mac room, ceramics and life drawing studios, and studios for graphics and textiles.
You will study a broad selection of units and specialisms, which will give you a thorough experience of practical art skills and knowledge, from
photography, graphics, design and fine art to public art, printmaking, textiles and sculpture. Within these you will develop various elements of ideas generation, the design cycle, as well as exploring materials and methods through a range of practical assignments.
You will work independently and also in groups, and have the opportunity to be involved with public and community projects as appropriate. Year 1 90 Credit Diploma course core skills such as:
- Visual Recording in Art and Design
- Drawing from Observation
- Materials, Techniques and Processes
- Ideas and Concepts in Art and Design
- Communication through Art and Design
- Contextual Influences
- Painting in Fine Art
- Graphics Media, Techniques and Technology
- Computers in Art.
In year two you will study a range of specialist units including photography, textiles, narrative image making, print making, and community art. You will also write your own negotiated brief for your final major project and exhibition.
- 5 GCSEs at minimum grade C including Art and English, and preferably Maths or a First Diploma in Art & Design with level 2 Maths and English
- Basic computer literacy
- A portfolio of your own artwork showing a broad range of creative skills We welcome applications from mature students without these qualifications. Other information such as assessment results and relevant experience may be taken into consideration at the College’s discretion.
You will be continually assessed through practical assignments and research activity. There will be a final major project at the end of the two years.
This course gives you a very broad experience of the potential specialist areas within art and design. Many students will progress to a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, and degree spanning a wide variety of specialist areas such as Fine Art, illustration, fashion, architecture, graphic design and photography. Some of our students have also gone on to work on exciting live artist projects, further qualification and gap years.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Weymouth College directly.