Media & Theatrical Make-Up BTEC Level 3 Certificate at Seevic College
Learn the secrets of Special Effects (SFX) Make-up on this BTEC Subsidiary Diploma, which can be studied as part of your A-Level programme.
This course will prepare you for a cosmetics career in the entertainment industry or progress to a specialist Make-up School.
You will study Make-up application techniques, as well as the context and theory behind Make-up applications in film/TV and theatre. You will also experiment with a range of SFX Make-up techniques; discovering how to sculpt, mould and cast your own prosthetics.
- Production Arts Workshop (core)
- Make-up Application and Creative Uses for Performance (core)
- Special Effects Make-up
- Period Make-up
- Full Body Make-up
- Mask making for Performers
- Make-up using Prosthetics
General Entry Requirements
Average point score of 5.3, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score MUST include at least five GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
If your English Language is a D/3, your Maths must be at least a C/4 and vice versa.
Specific Entry Requirements
- A media, art or design GCSE at grade C/4 or above is preferable.
- In the absence of this you will be required to present a portfolio of artwork to a member of our team as part of the interview process.
You will build a portfolio of practical application photos and theoretical assignments, along with sketch pads for research and face charts. You will be taught through a sequence of projects that encourage you to develop your skills and understanding. You will be assessed by coursework and on-going in class assessment.
You will need sketch pads, a lever arch folder and plastic pockets; we would also suggest that you invest in a personal colour printer, and be aware of the approximate kit costs below:
- Basic kit – £50 (first term)
- Basic SFX kit – £50 (second term).
- SFX kit – £50.
This course will equip you to undertake a variety of Make-up and SFX occupations for the stage and screen.
- ou will grow your portfolio, skills and confidence, in order to succeed in the industry across a range of disciplines.
- Upon completion of the course you will have designed and applied a range of full body make-up techniques including: prosthetics, full fabrication and costuming.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Seevic College directly.