Childcare Level 3 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Are you looking for a career in the children's services sector? Would you like to develop your practical skills in childcare?
This course prepares you for a range of careers in childcare and early years settings. You will gain advanced skills and be equipped to work in unsupervised roles, or roles with supervisory responsibilities. The course is ideal for students progressing from GCSEs or AS Levels, and will provide a vocational alternative to A Levels.
The course delivers a practical programme, focusing on the needs of real job roles and situations. A substantial amount of work placement is an essential part of the course and you will be able to meet many of the National Occupational Standards of the sector. You will also develop the knowledge for eventual progression into Higher Education, or into professional training for teaching, paediatric nursing or early years provision management.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Classroom based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade C or above, including English or Welsh (first language); or Essential Skills qualifications will be considered if you have both Application Of Number Level 2 and Communication Level 2
- Relevant Level 2 qualification
- Other qualifications and experience will be considered at the tutor's discretion
- You must have good standards of literacy and numeracy
- You should be motivated and enthusiastic about the subject and have the right personal attributes to work with vulnerable or young people.
- If you wish to progress onto Primary Teacher Training, please be aware that universities will require GCSE English, Maths (grade B) and Science at grade C.
- You may need these qualifications on application, which might mean re-sitting GCSEs
- During the interview stage, students with learning disabilities or additional learning needs should provide details and evidence of their needs
- You will be required to complete a DBS check during the interview phase, costing £44
- You will be required to wear a college t-shirt during work placement. You will have the option of purchasing a sweatshirt in addition.
- Places on the programme are subject to interview
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
Completion of this course improves your employability and gives you a range of professional options. You will be able to start your career in numerous childcare contexts, including working or teaching in a nursery, infant school, junior school or children’s ward.
You will also have a number of options in education. You could return to Grŵp Llandrillo Menai to complete a Higher Education qualification course such as:
- Foundation Degree (FdA) Childhood and Learning Support Studies, available at Rhos-on-Sea.
Alternatively, you could undertake further training to work as a qualified teacher or children’s nurse.Career opportunities
- Nursery Worker
- Occupational Therapist
- Social Worker
- Speech & Language Therapist
Programme code: 0105A03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.