Information and Creative Technology BTEC Level 2 at Derwentside College
This is a practical, modular course designed to help develop the skills you need to start or progress your career in the Industry.
The Diploma course consists of core, mandatory and optional specialist units.
The four Core Units and two Mandatory units make up half of the Diploma.
The timetable will also include Functional Skills in English and Maths plus appropriate work related learning.
Group A (this list may be revised from year to year).
Externally Assessed Core Units
- Unit 1: The Online World (30 GLH)
- Unit 2: Technology Systems (30 GLH).
Internally Assessed Core Units
- Unit 3: A Digital Portfolio (30 GLH)
- Unit 19: Computing in the Workplace (60 GLH).
- Unit 17: Multimedia Products Development (60 GLH),
- Unit 18: Computational Thinking (30 GLH).
Optional Specialist Units (Group A)
- Unit 10: Database Development
- Unit 12: Software Development
- Unit 13: Website Development
- Unit 14: Installing and Maintaining Computer Hardware (60 GLH each).
Optional Specialist Units (Group B)
- Unit 4: Creating Digital Animation
- Unit 6: Creating Digital Graphics
- Unit 8: Mobile Apps Development
- Unit 9: Spreadsheet Development
- Unit 25: IT Work Experience
- A good Level 1 qualification in a related subject
- Four GCSEs at grades D or above to include Maths and English or equivalent qualifications plus Initial Assessment results which demonstrate working towards Level 1.
Units one and two will be externally assessed using one hour tests taken under examination conditions.
All of the other units will be internally assessed and will be in the form of projects or assignments which are marked by your lecturers and externally moderated by the awarding board Edexcel.
After the BTEC First Diploma, you could progress to:
- other level 2 vocational qualifications and related competence-based qualifications for the information technology sector
- Level 3 vocational qualifications, such as BTEC Level 3 Nationals in IT
- an IT/Creative Media apprenticeship
- employment within the information technology industry and/or areas within the creative industries, such as developing computer animations.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derwentside College directly.