English Language and Literature A-level at South Essex College
- views and voices: prose fiction that constructs imaginary worlds
- poetry that constructs a strong sense of personal perspective
- people and places: literary and non-literary discourses in the AQA Paris Anthology
- coursework (20% of final A-level): personal investigation (2,500-3,000 words) that explores a specific technique or theme in both literary and non-literary discourse
- exploring conflict: writing about society which involves a re-creative task and commentary based on a novel
- dramatic encounters: you will study the ways writers use language to create dramatic effects
System ref: #50096
Five GCSEs at grade C or above including:
- grade B or above in English literature and English language
- written examinations: 60% mainly based on unseen texts
- coursework components: 40%
In year one you will be assessed on a detailed response to two literary texts linked by theme; in year two you will produce an original piece of writing that transforms two literary texts into different genres.
FREE to UK/EU under 19s not in employment
This course will prepare you for higher education in a wide range of subjects in the creative and social sciences, such as our BA (Hons) Creative Writing for Media or BA (Hons) Journalism programmes. It will also provide you with skills that will be invaluable in any career that requires a good command of English.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Essex College directly.