Sport and Exercise Science - BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich
This course will enable you to improve your knowledge and understanding of how and why sporting activities and movements take place. Throughout the two year course, additional activities and qualifications will be undertaken. These will include the CSLA (Community Sports Leader’s Award), First Aid at Work, and Coaching Awards. Various trips will be undertaken to support your coursework and you will also benefit from a period of two weeks work experience.
This course will be timetabled over the academic week. The course will include direct teaching, instruction and assessment, together with other structured learning time such as directed assignments or supported individual study. Students should be aware that this is mostly a Theory-Based Course and, should remember that as there are no exams at the end of the course, the coursework demands can be quite intense at times. There will be large amounts of practical, involving team sports.
The course will cover areas such as the following:
- Scientific Principles for Sport and Exercise
- Sport and Exercise Science Project
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Exercise Physiology
- Skill Acquisition
- Practical Sport Coaching
- Anatomy for Sport and Exercise
- Nutrition for Sport and Exercise
- Quantitative Sport and Exercise Research
- Social Aspects of Sport
- Fitness Testing
- Physiology Factors in Sport and Exercise
- Exercise Health and Lifestyle
- Sports Injuries
- Practical Sports Performance
- Technological Developments in Sport
- Sports Industry Experience
You will also study the Key Skills of Improving your Own Learning and Working with Others.
- Unit 1: Anatomy for sport and Exercise
- Unit 2: Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Unit 3: Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Unit 4: Research Methods for Sport and Exercise Science
- Unit 5: Research Project in Sport and Exercise Science
- Unit 6: Sports Biomechanics in Action
- Unit 7: Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Unit 8: Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Unit 9: Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Unit 10: Sport and Exercise Massage
- Unit 11: Analysis of Sports Performance
- Unit 12: Sports Nutrition
- Unit 13: Current Issues in Sport
- Unit 15: Sports Injuries
- Unit 16: Sports Coaching
- Unit 17: Practical Individual Sports
- Unit 19: Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 23: Work Experience in Sport
Students require a grade C or above in English and Maths GCSE. Students should have a Merit grade in Level 2 Sport and Exercise or a related course of study, or a grade C in PE GCSE.
This course is suitable for anyone with an interest in sport, who wants to gain a qualification to go into employment within the Sport Health and Fitness industry or onto a Sport related Higher Education course; sporting ability is desired.
Modules are assessed individually through coursework and assignments that are set and marked by both internal and external moderators.
You may be expected to pay for the various trips and qualifications throughout the course:
Additional qualifications - approximate cost £90
Residential trips - approximate cost £100
This qualification will provide entry to a related Degree or Higher National Diploma, such as Sports Science, PE or Leisure. It is also good preparation for anyone who wants to move straight into the Sports, Leisure or Health and Fitness industries.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich directly.