Applied Science BTEC Level 3 at Holy Cross Sixth Form College
- Work related qualification – suitable for a wide range of students
- Provides a practical, real world approach to learning – whilst still including the essential subject theory
- Designed to accommodate the needs of employers and allowing progression to university
- An alternative to A Levels – accepted for university entry and valued by employers
- Can be taken alongside or in place of A Levels
- Combines well with PE, Psychology, Health and Social Care, other non-science subjects
- Students wishing to take mostly Arts subjects, but who wish to retain a science element to their studies are particularly welcome.
Level 3 Certificate
(1 year, equivalent to one AS Level). You will study the following three mandatory units:
• Fundamentals of Science
• Working in the Science Industry
• Scientific Practical Techniques.
Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma
(2 year, equivalent to one A Level): In addition to the three units for the certificate you shall take a further three units in the second year of study, which shall be taken from a selection over Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
Level 3 Diploma
(2 year, equivalent to two A Levels): In addition to the six units taken for the complete subsidiary diploma in the first year of study, you shall then take a further six units from a selection over Biology, Physics and Chemistry in the second year of study.
Grade C in Core Science GCSE and grade C in Additional Science GCSE.
There are no exams, all work is assessed by assignments. You will need to work consistently throughout the year.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Holy Cross Sixth Form College directly.