Professional Bakery - Level 2 Certificate at Blackpool and The Fylde College
Working in the College’s operational Bakery, you will learn all aspects of Bread and Confectionery, preparing products for sale in the Bakery Shop, such as traditional bread-making, enriched dough’s including Danish pastries, confectionery items including cakes and sponges, puff pastry, enriched biscuits, almond and meringue products. The course also looks at the theory of raw materials and processes used in the bakery and also business skills
- Additionally you will learn creative skills in cake decoration covering all aspects including working with royal icing, sugar paste and chocolate couverture.
- Practical units in Bread and Confectionery
- These cover a range of bread products using a variety of methods to industry standards with underpinning knowledge.
- The confectionery covers a full range of powder aerated products, cakes, sponges, almond and sugar goods.
- Chocolate and Sugar Work
- Continental Breads
- Danish Pastries
- Celebration Cakes
- Flower Making
- High Volume Manufacture of Bread and Fermented Goods
Grades A - C in Maths and English, a good record of achievement and take a keen interest in the Bakery/Food Manufacturing Industry which will be discussed at interview
Theoretical aspects of the course will mainly be assessed through assignments and short answer questions which are internally marked. Individual practice tests will take place throughout the course
You may be able to progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Professional Bakery, Apprenticeship or into employment
Normal pay for Bakers and flour confectioners is £15,639 per year. That is about £1,303 per month, or £8.02 per hour. New workers generally start around £12,422, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £21,528.
This career has grown by 17% over the last 2 years, and is expected to grow by 1% over the next 4 years
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Blackpool and The Fylde College directly.