Culinary skills Introductory Level 1 Certificate at Harlow College
This is a practical programme, which helps you to develop skills in cooking. These skills will allow you to prepare a wide range of dishes. The Certificate gives you an excellent grounding in the hospitality and catering industry. You will gain a good standard of cookery skills and learn other workplace essentials such as hygiene, health and safety, teamwork and customer care. This course can lead to progression onto Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills.
This course is suitable for a student who has a passion for hospitality and catering and wants to develop their skills and knowledge in this sector.
This course is broken down into the following units:
- Level 2 Food safety in catering
- Level 1 Introduction to employability in the catering and hospatality industry
- Level 1 Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Level 1 Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Level 1 Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Level 1 Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Level 1 Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Level 1 Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Level 1 Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Level 1 Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Level 1 Cold food preparation
At least 2 GCSEs at grade F and 2 GCSEs at grade G
Short answer test, practical exams, written questions.
Uniform, books and equipment – £300
Visits - £80
Locker - £10
You may be entitled to receive a bursary to cover these costs
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harlow College directly.