A Level English Literature at St Bede's Catholic College
The English Faculty at St Bede’s also offers AQA AS/A-Level English Literature A.
This specification is designed to:
- Deliver as much choice as possible for teachers and candidates.
- Develop interest in and enjoyment of English Literature, through reading widely and through experience of an extensive range of views about texts.
- Encourage candidates to develop as informed, independent readers and critics of literary texts.
- Develop personal responses to literary texts
At AS, this specification allows centres to construct a coherent course of study in one of three areas. Candidates study three texts (one of each genre) in detail, plus three texts for wider reading and contextual support:
- Unit 1: Texts in Context.
- Unit 2: Creative Study.
At A2, the specification synthesizes the skills and learning of the whole course. Candidates prepare for a paper containing unprepared passages for close study, comparison and critical commentary on a theme (for the next five years this will be 'Love through the Ages'). In Unit 4, candidates are encouraged to reflect on ways of reading and writing about texts:
- Unit 3: Reading for Meaning.
- Unit 4: Extended Essay and Shakespeare Study.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Bede's Catholic College directly.