Public Services BTEC Level 3 90 Credit Diploma at Wirral Metropolitan College
This course is designed to give you the skills you need to either progress to higher education or into employment.
The range of careers that you can progress into include: Police, Fire Service, Security, Prison Service, Armed Services, Maritime and Coastguard Agency and UK Border Agency.
Areas of study will include
- Government, Policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- Volunteering in Public Services
In addition you will gain Information Technology skills and will have the opportunity to make use of all the College I.T. facilities.
An important part of the programme will be talks and demonstrations by visiting speakers from Public Services, and visits to various Public Service establishments.
Learners on this course will undertake a Functional Skills programme.
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (including English and maths) or BTEC Level 2 Diploma/Certificate in a related subject with a MERIT or DISTINCTION profile or an equivalent qualification
- Satisfactory interview to assess motivation, previous experience if applicable, communication skills, career planning
- the ability to work alongside people particularly as a member of a team
- prospective learners will need to complete Functional Skills Assessments in Mathematics and English. Learners must show a minimum profile of Level 1.
If English is not your first language, you may need an English Language assessment before enrolling on this course.
There will be continuous assessment by a variety of methods including assignments, projects, practical exercises, group work and presentations.
You will need to purchase and maintain a college specified uniform, you will also be required to contribute financially to some of the cost of trips, visits and residentials, although these will be kept as low as possible. More information will be given at interview.
At the end of the course, you could progress to higher education or employment.
Most of the Public Services have their own entry tests, but the requirements for them will be considered during the course.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.