Music Performance (BTEC) at Somervale School
The Edexcel BTEC National in Music Performance is aimed at Sixth Form students who are enthusiastic performers. The aim of the course is to provide students with a core focus (performing) completing three core units and three specialist units over two years.
- Music Performance Techniques
- Solo Music Performing Skills
- Working and developing as a Musical Ensemble
The specialist units are: (A choice of 3)
Aural Perception Skills, Music Project , Improvising Music, Modern Music in practice, Musical Theatre Performance Pop Music in practice, Singing techniques and Performance
C Grade or above at GCSE Music or equivalent Music performing evidence, such as graded exams or equivalent standard to grade 4.
The completion of six units will be assessed against a set of outcomes, which is an on-going process enabling students to analyse and improve their own performance throughout the course. The units are graded as a Pass, Merit or a Distinction, which is equivalent to an E Grade, C Grade and an A*/A Grade. The BTEC National in Music Performance is a nationally recognised vocational qualification aimed at developing student’s performance skills to progress into higher education and pursuing a career in music
Who Might the Course Suit?
The course will suit musicians who have a passion for performing and who are interested in developing their musical skills. The course provides students with the opportunity to develop their performance skills through:
- Developing effective instrumental or vocal technique through a structured practice routine, learning a range of appropriate repertoire for a solo performance and ensemble performance.
- Learning and understanding the different roles in the live music industry. Developing their organisation skills to manage a project, preparing financial records and taking responsibility to oversee the project and evaluate a successful live event.
- Preparing for a live event, working as a member of a team and contributing to a performance to a technically acceptable level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somervale School directly.