Media Studies AS & A Level at Bridgewater High School
WJEC Media Studies specification is designed to allow you to draw on your existing experience of the media and to develop your abilities to respond critically to the media. It enables you to explore a wide variety of media, including digital media technologies, drawing on the fundamental concepts informing the study of the media: texts, industry and audiences.
The specification also encourages creative work to enable you to gain a greater appreciation of the media through your own production work and to develop your own production skills. At A2 in particular, students are given the opportunity to research a topic which will then form the basis for your production, thus encouraging you to create productions informed by an awareness of contemporary media issues.
- MS1: Media Representations and Responses (50% of AS, 25% of A Level)
- MS2: Media Production Processes (50% of AS, 25% of A Level)
- MS3: Media Investigation and Production (50% of A2, 25% of A Level)
- MS4: (A2) Text, Industry and Audience (50% of A2, 25% of A Level)
5 GCSEs at A* – C including English Language.
- MS1: One written exam
- MS2: One internally assessed coursework unit
- MS3: One written exam
- MS4: One internally assessed coursework unit
Employment: advertising, journalism, TV/film production, teaching, marketing. Key skills: ICT, communication, problem solving, working with others, improving own learning and performance. Wider curriculum: developing understanding of economic, cultural, social, ethical and moral issues.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgewater High School directly.