Philosophy & Ethics A2 at South Wirral High School
What can this course do for me?
- This course develops deep analytical and comprehension skills and will provide you with an excellent foundation for further education.
- The issues we cover are topical and essential for an understanding of the political, legal and religious development of the U.K.
- This course is highy regarded by all universities and colleges and will also serve you well if you are looking to improve your employment opportunities in the future.
- It will develop your ability to think rigorously and enable you to present coherent, widely informed and detailed arguments about beliefs, ethics, values and issues.
- All that we learn is related to the wider world and we reflect upon the legal and human rights and responsibilities underpinning society and how they relate to ourselves
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO TAKE PHILOSOPHY AND ETHICS?
- I did very well at GCSE and I always thought of it as a very interesting subject.
- I enjoyed the subject at GCSE.
- I knew it would give me a wider understanding of the world in general
- It ties in really well with just about every other subject.
- It has made me more open-minded and I thought it would help me develop more skills at A'Level.
WHAT HAS SURPRISED YOU ABOUT THE COURSE?
- It's not as religious as I first thought it would be.
- How interesting the course continues to be... and how enthusiastic my classmates and I are about our lessons.
- I've had to do a lot of work, but I've been keen and eager to get it done!
- It's actually really really really interesting!
- It's hard work but if you put the effort in - it will be worth it. (If I can, anyone can)/li>
WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO THE CURRENT YEAR 11?
- If you want to learn about the world or if you have a faith
- I would highly recommend it. It's not all religious and it will open your mind!
- You will LOOK FORWARD TO GOING TO THE LESSON!!! Take it; you'll enjoy yourself and learn at the same time.
- If you enjoyed it at GCSE then carry it on. It's enjoyable and will help you with important decision making.
- The lessons deal with real-life situations and help you gain your own opinion
- It's completely different from any other 6th form course
- You will become more broad minded and you'll change your opinion on topics constantly.
HOW WILL THIS COURSE HELP YOU IN THE FUTURE?
- Jobs that use the skills of critical thinking and ethical issues
- Helps me be better at debating and allows me to understand other cultures and what they believe
- Helps you learn skills that you can use in other subjects
- It can help with the police and social work
- Improved my range of open mindedness, logic skill, chains of thought, questioning
- It helps develop skill like essay writing, critical thinking and presentation; thus will help me with my career in either teaching or journalism.
- I'm going to study philosophy at university
- It has made me more open minded about ethical issues and religion, which is a good skill to have.
GCSE Grade C or above in RE and English Language.
At AS this is by one 1 hour 45 minute exam, and one 1 hour and 15 minutes exam.
At A2 you take two exams lasting 3 hours in total
Teacher // Lecturer // Civil Service // Local Government // Barrister // Health Service // Caring Profession // Marketing Executive // Journalist // Charities Administrator // Social Worker
What will I be studying?
- Does God exist?
- Where does evil come from?
- How do people make moral decisions?
- Are wars morally right?
- Is there life after death?
- Does punishment work
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Wirral High School directly.