A Level English Literature at Beaconsfield High School
Three Components over 2 years: Component 1 Exam 40% of A Level Component 2 Exam 40% of A Level Component 3 Coursework 20% of A Level
Eight texts to be studied over 2 years including at least two examples of each of the genres of prose, poetry and drama across the course as a whole. For additional information please contact Dr Boxall.
- Shakespeare. Drama and poetry pre-1900.
- Close reading in chosen topic area Comparative & contextual study in chosen topic area
- Critical piece OR creative writing piece & commentary. Comparative essay
- The course develops GCSE Literature work and will appeal to all good readers and those who enjoy expressing their opinions and justifying their comments on texts.
- Students need to be able to analyse what they have read and to communicate their ideas clearly and effectively in writing.
- English Literature is a popular qualification for a wide range of courses in higher education or for future careers.
How can parents help?
- Parents can encourage students to keep up with wider reading and essay writing demands of the subject through emphasising the importance of consistent effort throughout the year.
- Some parents may wish to read set texts to help provide more opportunities for students to articulate their responses.
- Trips to the theatre or readings of poetry and prose will broaden a student’s knowledge and enthusiasm.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Beaconsfield High School directly.