Mathematics A Level at Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig
- Studying mathematics to Advanced Level sets a challenge to pupils who enjoy dealing with algebra, trigonometry, forces and statistics.
- The Advanced Level results of the Mathematics Department have been consistently excellent, with about 60% of candidates gaining grade A.
- Surveys have shown that those who study mathematics to ‘A’ level can earn a wage of up to 10% more than their contemporaries.
- Mathematics is taught through the medium of english and welsh.
- Aberystwyth and Swansea universities are particularly enthusiastic in attracting Welsh students. Aberystwyth University can offer some opportunities to study through the medium of Welsh, and this department co-operates closely with the Physics Department.
Recent research there concentrated on errors in weather forecasting! Statistics is a strength here as well.
- Swansea University also offer tutorials through the medium of Welsh , and they offer courses which combine mathematics and the financial world , by using calculus to model market tendencies. ‘WIMCS’, the organisation established to encourage mathematics in Wales, has its headquarters within this department.
- There are several attractive career options for students who wish to study mathematics. For those choosing to remain in education, extra money is available to train as mathematics teachers.
- There is an opportunity to study engineering, and work in the world of planning and the dynamic construction industry.
- Mathematicians are much in demand for work in the banking and trade sector, with world-wide openings.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Gyfun Penweddig directly.