Applied Science BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma at City College Plymouth
This course is for those interested in science and who wish to study in a hands-on way. We will introduce you to advanced level study of science in a highly vocational environment within our well-resourced labs and you will be taught by fully qualified and experienced lecturers. The course aims to provide a stepping-stone onto more specialist study in the second year and will aim to provide a balanced range of biology, chemistry and physics content. The course offers good connections with a wide range of employers, including the NHS, Plymouth University and the Naval Service Recovery Centre based at HMS Drake.
Mandatory units include:
- principles and applications of science
- practical scientific procedures and techniques
- science investigation skills
- laboratory techniques and their application.
You will choose two optional units from the following list:
- physiology of human body systems
- human regulation and reproduction
- biological molecules and metabolic pathways
- genetics and genetic engineering
- diseases and infections
- applications of inorganic chemistry
- applications of organic chemistry
- electrical circuits and their application
- astronomy and spacer science
- microbiology and microbiological techniques
- industrial chemical reactions
- practical chemical analysis.
In our experience, in order to be successful on this level of course you will need to have gained five GCSEs at grade C or above to include maths, English language and science.
You will be assessed via assignments (marked by your lecturers), an exam and a controlled assessment task, which is marked by the awarding body, Pearson.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.